When you get old, experienced and opinionated, you build up a stock of axioms. Here are some of mine, for whatever use, ponderance, reflection, passing whimsy, and/or outright theft, you might make of them. They range from the theological to the practical to the political. What use will you make of them? None, maybe. But I've used various of them variously in sermons, conversation, evangelism, counseling, teaching, and writing.
Unlike Biblical Proverbs, they're uninspired. Like Biblical proverbs, the aim is memorable, thought-provoking, stick-in-your-mind brevity.
Strictly, some of these are proverbs or apothegms... but that would make too long a title!
If this list has no interest to you, I'd just ask you graciously to remember what you paid for it.
- If you ever weren't God, you never will be.
- When you sin or do something really foolish, you have two choices: repent, forsake, and rectify; or start an endless cycle of doubling-down degradation. Most people do the latter.
- Don't be the last to know you're wrong.
- Trolls are thoughtful people. Nail them for what they are, and they immediately prove you right.
- Pastors who don't pastor aren't pastors, they're lecturers.
- Anyone who claims to be an apostle today is 'way, 'way too young.
- Any woman who seeks to lead men in church is eo ipso disqualified—if open rebellion against the Lordship of Christ is still a disqualifier.
- Folks who are full of themselves don't leave much room for anyone else.
- Every vote is a vote for the lesser of two evils.
- Men shouldn't let our eyes rest anywhere our hands shouldn't.
- Looking may just be looking, but doing starts with a look.
- Only way to be certain not to forget something is to do it now.
- Preach like God's watching, like you'll never get another chance, and like every second of your hearers' time is precious.
- Don't let truth lose by default through your laziness, indifference, cowardice or ignorance.
- If nobody else has ever seen what you're seeing in the Bible, that's probably because it isn't there.
- The world is far better at being the world than the church ever could be, so don't even try.
- Don't be shocked when unbelievers act like unbelievers.
- Do be shocked when believers act like unbelievers. Especially when it's you.
- Counsel the person who's there.
- Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
- Excelling at anything is a matter of wisely investing odd moments.
- Better to know a little truth, and believe it deeply, Than to know a lot, and not.
- Anyone can be taught — except the dead, the unwilling, and those who know everything already.
- UPDATE: Everyone does what he does because he thinks it will make him happy. (Added 12/5/12)
- UPDATE: Unhappy complainers are always louder and more insistent than happy people with praises. This works both horizontally and vertically, and is equally a reproach to both categories of people. (Added 1/3/2013)
- UPDATE: When a man opposing God's truth is destroying his own argument with every word, sometimes it's best to stay out of the way and let him get on with it. (Added 1/18/2013)
- UPDATE: Kid, life's not a game. Hasty decisions cast long shadows. (Added 4/8/2013)