15 September 2014

Let It Go

by the Late Frank Turk

Well: did you miss me?  Did anything happen while I was gone?

Yes, sure: you have a list.  Me personally?  I have a list of items which I would like to use to return from Hiatus in a clear and cautious way.

ITEM: It was Trogdor who branded me "the Late Frank Turk" via twitter in Summer 2014, and I'm happy with it.  Here, anyway, that will be my handle from now on.

ITEM:  You have no idea who they are, but this blog would not exist today without the tireless and thankless work of two men who shall continue to remain nameless who are the minions who, every week, in spite of personal burdens and preoccupations, continue to fill and re-fill the Dose of Spurgeon and the Best of Pyro editions.  We'll get to Dan in a minute, but let's face it: those two features constitute 33% of the days there are available for posting, and in the last year it also constituted more than 50% of the blogging which happened here.  While they may continue to remain nameless and faceless, let's today not allow them to go thankless for doing more to improve the blogosphere than most people will ever recognize or appreciate.

ITEM: So that his place in the world of things is not overlooked, my friend Dan Phillips is, frankly, a pillar of a man in his family and in his church, but he has done what few people would have agreed to for the last year or so: he has manned the helm of a blog known globally for setting the world on fire essentially as the one guy.


He had one job, as the meme goes, but rather than producing an epic fail, he has frankly preserved our readership and our reputation with steady hands and (it seems right now anyway) a pure heart, a clean conscience, and a good faith.  And no medication was needed in the aftermath.

ITEM:  I suspect it will also go live today, but in case you missed it (the kids say ICYMI; to which I say, speak English), starting today I am also a contributor to the Reformation21 blog.  I think someone is likely to be brought up on charges before the session for allowing a Baptistic Dog's Breakfast like me into the fold, but because it will make all the right people angry, I'll be pleased to do it.  There are two sub-items associated with that:
SUB ITEM #1: There's no way for me to blog more than once a week about things other than building CosPlay props, so my participation here will be balanced with my participation there.  Sometimes you'll find my paw prints here, other times there.  There will be no particular method, but only the usual madness. 
SUB ITEM #2: One reason in particular for blogging at both venues will be that the internet is wrong -- but in this case, I want there to be no cause for the internet to be wrong about whether or not I'm still the same guy who wrote all the open letters and who also wrote this specific post to my fellow Pyro.

ITEM: Because I love this graphic ( →→→ over there, to the right ), some version of it will appear in all posts from me going forward for the sake of engaging those who are bound to  ask.

ITEM: For those of you who are interested, this last summer at church I expanded and revised a class I did at my previous church in 4 Sundays to 9 or 10 Sundays, and I'm pleased with the results.  I wanted to do "How We get the Bible in English," and I did.  It goes from the origins of the written word all the way through the Greek and Hebrew, the Vulgate, and then ends up with 2-3 weeks on how and why the Bible gets translated, and whether one method is better than the other(s).  You can find all of them right here.

ITEM: Along those same lines, I have made a commitment to my friends at my home church that, going forward, if I would not teach about it during Sunday school, I'm not going to blog about it here.  That limits the subjects I'll cover here pretty narrowly.  It's probably best that way.

ITEM: Also along those same lines, unless someone commits a felony (and even then, it would have to be feloniously innovative), I am personally through opining about and writing open letters to or about that fellow in Seattle.  My expectation is that the readers of this blog will not bring it up.  What has finally happened there is a terrible loss for so many reasons that to trot them out could be seen as less than virtuous.  But one can't be blamed if one wonders how this could have shaken out if the people who were so concerned about privacy and process had engaged as seriously as they are right now 5 years ago.

ITEM: Wednesday is coming.  Prepare to be boarded.










17 comments:

FX Turk said...

"you had one job cat" is such a great graphic, it would have by itself been worth it to break hiatus for.

DJP said...

Well, yes; anyone who defines a cat's job as other than "to be a cat" is setting himself up for disappointment.

Welcome back. At least ONE thing is righter with the world this week than it was last week.

JohnBrianMck said...

Welcome back!

Saved By Faith Alone said...

Welcome back! I can fully understand the love you have for your new “brand”, i.e., “The Late Frank Turk” as it’s actually quite biblical considering the Apostle Paul’s statement: ”For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” [Phl 1:21 NIV]

Dan H.

FX Turk said...

One thing I missed about blogging was how smart our readers are.

Michael Coughlin said...

Thanks for the link to your SS teaching. I definitely plan to listen to those.

Michael

Jim Crigler said...

Re: The Late Frank Turk

This reminds me of a TV show we got on a Christian station in Orlando 16–18 years ago called “The Late Steve Brown Show,” an interview show hosted eponomously by the pastor/theologian who had a better voice than Garrison Keillor.

Pagey said...

Hiatus makes the heart grow fonder. Welcome back! :)

Unknown said...

And here I was hoping you'd come back as "Dread Pirate Turk".

semijohn said...

Frank, if you want to keep your distance from Steve Brown (I think Dan would), you could always add "Great" to your handle. Of course, then you'd be in Hal Lindsay territory.

mike said...

Like Art Garfunkel coming back to Paul Simon. Like Wally Cleaver...oh, never mind.

semijohn said...

Sorry for the ignorant spelling. It's Lindsey, not Lindsay. Anyway, welcome back.

Unknown said...

Hats off to those nameless guys. They make ordinary Christians like me feel right at home.

trogdor said...

Glad you're back. It's like that one show I saw about a legend who fought for his people but wound up getting frozen, then many years later was found and thawed when the world needed him most. You know, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

FX Turk said...

I was thinking Rip Van Winkle or Sleeping Beauty.

Neil said...

Yeah, Demolition Man was such a great movie.

Solameanie said...

A belated welcome back. Late, but heartfelt.